Tuesday, August 4, 2020

White Pass & Yukon 300 Series Flat Car and Containers

Well, it's been a while since I posted.  Not many comments so I stopped writing. My current project is to use additive manufacturing to build an Nn3 scale WP&Y 300 series flat car and companion 25' containers.  The container and flat car both have several variants.  I began the flat car with a basic 300 series that was a later model that was only used for 25' containers.
     I did a first trial run with the basic shape to get the coupler pocket and bolster height correct for Nn3 standards using Micro-Trains couplers and trucks (I use metal Fox Valley wheels). That trial is shown in the photo below.  I use a Form 3 SLA printer, so I am still working out the best support system for the print, but this trial print convinced me that I could get the tremendous detail the Form 3 provides and still have a viable print. (You should be able to click on most images and zoom in for more detail.)



After a couple of test runs, I have been able to produce a fantastic level of  detail on the grating and the cones that mate with the container sockets.  A sample grating run is shown below (brake staff end), along with a print of the cones only (photo is bad, cones look pretty good but the underside is cupped, and then a print of a flat car with the grate and cones as part of the print.

 
 

After taking the supports off of the prints, I was really pleased with the results.  The next photo shows the underside (showing brake gear detail) and topside of the final flat car print.  Assuming that I can adjust my support so it isn't touching the cones, I will print everything at once. If I have to print the cones separately, that is no problem, I have done that and they can be inserted into the main flat car body just fine. A detail photo of the grating and cones is shown in the bottom photo.  The detail is outstanding with the Form 3, the grating is 0.008" thick, with 0.019"x0.031" grating holes.  I think it simulates the real grating quite nicely. The pilot holes are there for the steps and grab irons, just very hard to see.


For final prints I will have to sand some of the support sprues off a bit more, but overall I couldn't be happier with the result. I'm very excited about making some minor adjustments and then printing a fleet. I do have two remaining issues.  The flat car with a container on it can have a weight placed low to add the necessary mass.  I would like to have some empty flats (they will look great painted) but this configuration doesn't have anywhere to add mass.  I may look into having a brass casting done, but I'm not sure that could handle the detail and small size of some of the beams.
      I could use some help for the final touch - decals.  Does anyone know of a good printer (commercial or do it yourself) that can make the smaller N scale details I need for this car?  With decals, this print will be able to exceed the quality I've seen in HOn3 models of the same prototype.  I will post more about the containers in another post.

2 comments:

  1. Hello:
    I was wondering if you finished the kit Aspenmodel locomotives that you were working on and have any photos of the later assembly process. I am thinking about buying one of the Aspenmodel kits and was hoping that your experiences would help me.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. C, interesting work. Can't help you with your decal hunt, I'm wondering if you might help me with a problem you've already solved elsewhere? I've got a few Rapido Railcrew switch machines the I bought for tough spots on my N scale layout yard, and was wondering if you might make your 3DP jig available? Either via shapeways or I'd be willing to buy one directly from you.

    ReplyDelete